Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Winter Landscaper

The Winter Landscaper- part 1


As the construction season comes to a close sometime between mid-November and Mid-December  people often ask what we do during the winter months.  The most common response is obviously snow removal and salting living in Michigan.  For many companies it can be a very profitable and steady business.  With a developed customer database most landscape companies have enough snow and salt clients to keep the revenue steam going all year. To finish the 2014 season November and December were not very good for the snow and salting business if you run a per event type of business.

There are many owners that love the winter and feel very comfortable behind the plow.  The plowing and salting business help many companies grow and allows the the landscaper to continue their customer relations all year.  The hours are rough, sleep gets reduced and your schedule is off completely.  I always find it funny how it seems to snow more over night than during the day where I live.  The toughest part about being out there removing snow is being aware of others.  When people are out on the roads or coming into work they seem to think that we have eyes in the back of heads because they are never afraid to come up on your truck.  I will say it right here on my blog that I do not have eyes in the back of my head nor do my trucks warn me if you are getting close to me.  Our trucks have flashing orange lights for a good reason.  I am beginning to believe that the flashing orange light has been overused and it has lost it effect on people.  Share with everyone that you know that when we are clearing a parking lot  and our flasher is on it is best to avoid us at all cost.  We have often been awake since the early hours of the morning, we are often alone in the truck, we are focused on removing snow and really really want to get home safe to our families.  

Since starting Poseidon Ponds & Landscaping in 2012 I have been in the plowing business.  The first year it was very minimal, the second year was super overwhelming and so far this season seems to be about the right amount.  Year two was overwhelming mostly due to record snowfall but that I was also very limited on the time I could spend working on the business.  Part two of The Winter Landscaper will be about working on the business.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment