Wednesday, December 9, 2015

To A Great Man and Dear Friend

The Poseidon Pond Mann blog hasn't been very active lately!  Today I wanted to get a little personal and talk about a friend of mine that was taken way too early this past weekend.  My friend, Matt Howell, died this past weekend and has left behind his wife, Tara and their two children, Easton and Ellis.

Details are never mean much to me other than the person is no longer with us.  The night before his death he had hosted his annual ugly sweater party where so many attended.  Matt was always a great host and you were always sure that it would be a great time.  This night definitely did not disappoint. From the awesome photo booth to all the great games the night was truly why I love my friends and home of Dexter.  Matt and Tara's events were always so unique because of the diversity of people attending.  When you attended you would be sure to see a face that you had not seen in quiet some time.

I did not have the honor of being Matt's friend in high school and our friendship did not really come about until both of us were finishing college.  Once we started hanging out I would always wonder why we had never been friends sooner, Dexter isn't all that big after all.  My wife would always tell me about him and what a great guy he was and that he would always remind her that she was one of his oldest Dexter friends.  Matt just had a way of reminding people how much he cared about them.

Our friendship was cemented when my family and his family spent a week together in a cottage on Lake Michigan in Pentwater, Michigan with to other families.  The week went by so fast but to this day I think back to how much fun it was and that week really felt like a month.  At least four of the nights Matt and I were the last two at the fire and found ourselves talking about everything.  The one major thing I will always remember was how he helped me overcome some anger issues I was having towards my brother who I had lost a little over a year before.  Matt helped me navigate some rough lifewaters that I will never forget.

The years following we hung out and watched our Spartans, played golf together, hung out with friends, celebrated each others children, etc.  When you lose someone in your life you always find yourself wishing you had spent more time with them and in this case, yes, yes I wish I could go back and come over and watch more games with him, go on golf trips with him and just have one more fireside chat.  I know how many really close friends of his feel this way and that they will always feel this way and to that I say we are so lucky we have Dexter.  Our community has so many groups of close nit friends and so many of them that overlap.  We have each other to face the difficult times and to never forget the people that have left us.

I want to finish this blog with a message that Matt left with me one night over a few drinks.  Matt was a social worker at the Detroit Medical Center Sinai Grace where he helped so many people.  Driving from Dexter to Detroit daily is far and I felt like he could do so much better closer to home and even make more money.  I was pushing him to make more money because to me his value and what he could do for others was priceless.  Well after some debate he grabbed my arm, looked me in the eyes and said you don't get it!  I said, don't get what?  His response will forever repeat in my head, "It's not about the money Cory, it is all about helping others.  The feelings I get when I have helped someone is worth much more to me than a higher paycheck."  He left me with no response and all I could do was smile at him and say, "I love you Matt!"

Talk to anyone who knew Matt and they will tell you that he would drop anything to help a friend or family member when he was needed.  To honor this incredible friend, loving husband and outstanding father I ask that you take a moment of your time and visit the Howell Family Fundraiser and help ensure that his family is taken care of.  We will forever miss him but always carry his laughter and infectious smile with us.

Goodbye Dear Friend,

Cory Mann
Poseidon Pond Mann      

8 comments:

  1. Amazing words cory, he was truly one of a kind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said today, you all are in my thoughts. I am sorry for the loss of such a close friend! I never knew him but I know lots of people that will miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cory,
    That was very well written. When I moved to Dexter in high school, I didn't fit in well at first, there were numerous rumours about me, and high school students aren't the nicest people, I had two classes with Matt and he always made it a.point to go out of his way to talk to me, and actually got to know me, he made me feel like I had a friend. After high school we saw each other at the local bars when we were home on break, and he always made it a point to come over n say hi. I'm so saddened by this news, I'm sure he was a great father and husband, he was a great guy back them. My prayers are with his family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory,
    That was very well written. When I moved to Dexter in high school, I didn't fit in well at first, there were numerous rumours about me, and high school students aren't the nicest people, I had two classes with Matt and he always made it a.point to go out of his way to talk to me, and actually got to know me, he made me feel like I had a friend. After high school we saw each other at the local bars when we were home on break, and he always made it a point to come over n say hi. I'm so saddened by this news, I'm sure he was a great father and husband, he was a great guy back them. My prayers are with his family

    ReplyDelete