What is a Hands-Free Maintenance Program for a Backyard Pond?
Hands-free is a term that is typically used for electronic devices where you do not need to use your hands, so what does it mean for a backyard pond? For a backyard pond, hands-free maintenance program would basically mean that the homeowner does not need to touch any maintenance related parts. While many contractors offer programs that are completely hands-free, they will often have lesser programs where the client is partially involved or mostly involved. All of the maintenance programs offered should address all aspects of ecosystem pond maintenance, from annual tasks to weekly tasks. Let's take a look at what some of the programs might cover.
Backyard ponds have many different maintenance requirements. The can vary on the frequency, anywhere from years to weeks. Just like other house-related equipment, backyard ponds will last longer and work better with routine maintenance. Having a contractor install your Koi pond that not only offers a full maintenance program but that also discusses what to expect up front makes the process much easier. Depending on the contractor the items included in an offered program will vary based on your specific needs, but also from company to company. Here are some items that you should see offered in maintenance programs.
- Spring cleaning & opening services
- Fall closing & shutdown services
- Seasonal Visits (Weekly, Bi-Weekly or Monthly)
- Winter check-ups for ponds with fish or water features left running
- Leaf net installation and take down
- Equipment check-ups, repair or servicing
- Water treatment application or education, including water quality assessment
- Algae and invasive plant control
- Aquatic plant installation, thinning, fertilizing or removal
- Fish & wildlife- care of and tips for healthy critters (may also supply or add wildlife)
- Leak check and repair
- Fill valve or irrigation servicing, installation or repair
- Underwater lighting installation, repair, and adjustment
- Liner covering, including the addition of rock
- Waterfall adjustment and foaming
- Care of the pond's surrounding landscape
How Often Are The Pond Maintenance Visits?
During the conversation about maintenance programs, clients will often ask about what happens when help or service is needed between visits. Again, programs and what is offered will vary between contractors but here is some explanation. Many pond contractors value the consistent business that comes with pond maintenance programs and because of that, they will generally reciprocate that gratitude back to their clients by covering at least a couple service calls per month. While the pond contractor will not charge for the labor, a client can expect to have to pay for the broken equipment if not covered under a warranty. Pond maintenance clients are highly valued by pond contractors so they will often go above and beyond to make sure the client is happy. In any case, it is important for clients to keep in mind that your contractor is often called out to fix or repair some equipment or part that they did not manufacture themselves. While they will stand behind the products they install, they, unfortunately, can not control how, where and who made the equipment or part involved in the service call.
Are There Other Benefits To Having A Hands-Free Maintenance Program?Having a professional maintain and keep an eye on anything that you own will always have other benefits. For a backyard pond other benefits may include:
- Prevention of issues that could lead to a much bigger problem- An example of this could be the aquatic plants. A consistent maintenance program will keep the aquatic plants in check and not let them take over the pond, if left unchecked the aquatic plants could completely fill in the pond and require a rebuild.
- Data collection- Many contractors will design a pond maintenance program that tracks and collects important information about your pond to reduce maintenance and prevent issues. Knowing when algal blooms occur during the season will allow the maintenance team to increase treatments and prevent the bloom from happening.
- Stay up to date on the latest products and services- Since the client is in constant contact with the contractor, a maintenance client will know about more efficient equipment that may lead to fewer expenses in the long run.
- Peace of mind- This is certainly top of the list for most clients and the main purpose a client uses a maintenance program, but knowing your Koi pond is in good hands is a stress reducer for sure.
Here Are Some Links For The Maintenance Programs That I Offer At My Pond Contracting Business.
Owning a pond, waterfall or fountain certainly doesn't need to be difficult, so be sure to contact us to see what we can do to educate you and set your mind at ease. For more educational information be sure to visit www.poseidonponds.com or for more inspiration visit our Facebook page and start following us!